May 24, 2009

Bear Tribute


Seeing a bear in the wild is the biggest thrill there is. When I was a child you always saw bears in Yellowstone. That was when they could get in campsite garbages and people fed them. My close encounter with one was when I had my car window down and was showing the bear my box of animal crackers. He thought I was trying to feed him and swiped at it through the window. My sister saved me by pulling me to her side of the car. We occasionally saw bears and even cubs in the mountains near Grants, New Mexico. The last bear that I saw in the wild was the month before Joel died. He and I saw a black bear in a canyon near Alpine, Wyo.


Yesterday Mandy, Amy, Jonathan, his sister Diana and I got to watch this young black bear for a long time. Mandy's excellent camera caught images and video of him . It was between the summit of Dunraven Pass and Tower in Yellowstone Park.
Now we are wondering if this is a black bear or a grizzly. Any opinions?

0 comments: